Sunday, August 14, 2011

Driving Technical Change

In a past job I was constantly advocating for better OO practices and tools. I found myself having to repeatedly explain and discuss the well documented benefits of OO and Agile methodologies. This apathy towards technical excellence is the main reason I left this job.

I didn't really think about driving change as a formal process so I was interested to read Driving Technical Change by Terrence Ryan. I really liked the book's basic premise that exactly matches my experience: Driving technical change is simple, but not easy.

The author does a great job of describing the roles, participants and process, and the reasons people resist and push back against change. In addition, the author emphasizes that any change should be the right change - both necessary and beneficial.

It's a lot to take in but I'll definitely keep the book handy as another reference to aid software development.

No comments: