Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hello Mac!

I got my first Mac (MacBook Pro). I unpacked it on Friday evening and as of now (Sunday morning) it's completely replaced my Win 7 laptop. I've installed all my social stuff and my dev tools, and I've pulled in all my code from github.

Operating the new hardware/software involves a bit of a paradigm shift but I'm enjoying the challenge of learning. After using the terminal utility to get my git environment set up I realized how much I miss the bash interface and vi!

A few things led me to the switch:

My laptop was regularly giving me the BSOD and I was constantly saving my work as a preventive measure.

My battery life was only in the 1.5 to 2 hour range.

The laptop power connector was constantly being pulled out or in the way.

The Mac's compact size and its reputation. Almost all of the seminars, training classes and webinars I've been to/seen are presented on Macs.

No comments: