2010 was significant for me because I took charge of advancing and promoting my career. The most important event was my job change which provided much needed momentum and new challenges and learning.
For 2011 I want to continue the learning that I've started. I want to focus on 2 things:
My thinking, to get some maturity on the human and sociological thoughts and concepts that I've been gravitating towards -
- How to be effective and not just efficient
- How to add value and solve problems, with or without software
- How to foster an environment that promotes the above
My technical skills in common enterprise frameworks such as Spring, Hibernate and Groovy/Grails
So, in 2011 I will ...
1. Read 5 software development related books
There are currently 10 books in my "to read" stack and if history is a guide, that stack will grow. This goal is a little less ambitious than last year due to goals 2 and 3.
2. Convert my "broken toy" library app to use Hibernate and Spring
I want to expand my knowledge and skill with these frameworks and I need to do it on my own since I'm not working with them in my job.
3. Create a new "broken toy" app to help me keep track of the anniversaries and birthdays of my family and friends
I'm always forgetting them so I could use some help.
4. Write two blog posts a month
Continue with what I accomplished last year.
5. Take some sort of multi-day software development training
This will be a reoccurring goal.