Saturday, November 20, 2010

Paradigm Shifting (again)

I began my software development career working with Cobol so I was one of those that had to struggle through the OO paradigm shift.

Now I find myself shifting again. This time to the concept of "convention over configuration" and frameworks that abstract the mundane parts of software development like persistence and security.

I love abstractions. I took it as a complement when a co-worker in a design session said I was "too abstract." So I love how the new frameworks aid in the design and creation of loosely coupled systems.

Lately I've been working in Groovy/Grails and I'm really enjoying it. It's amazing how much less code you have to write to create a Groovy app with Grails, as compared to Java. You can literally get a web app created and running in a matter of minutes.

No comments: